June 8, 2013

Interview: Veronica Wolff author of The keep (Watchers #4)

 

 
We haver Varonica Wolff with us today. She is the author of the series The Watchers. If you havent read it you are missing out!

1. How did you come up with the storyline for this book?
Honestly, some of the inspiration came from you bloggers! Many reviewers have commented how much they wanted to know what was in that vampire castle, and I decided it was time to sneak inside.

 Also, I’ve been doing a lot of Jiu-Jitsu and often I’m the only woman in class. I live by the beach, which means many classes find me grappling with big, strapping surfers. (Rough, huh?) I think a lot about how to use leverage when fighting someone much bigger than myself, and it was a natural next step that Drew ended up exploring it on the page for me.

 2. How did you come up with the names for the characters?
Some of them just come to me (Drew), some are names I’ve liked for some time (Carden), and others are results of random web searches, trawling for interesting sounding names (Alcántara).

 3. How much are you and the characters alike?
Oh wow, I dare not think about that one too much! Seriously, though, seeing as I’m the one who’s conceived of all these people, they’re all in me somewhere. There’s not one character I can point to, rather, there are little bits of me in each person on that island. I believe it wouldn’t be a very good character if there weren’t some part of them that I personally found sympathetic.

 4. Do you read a lot and what are you reading now?
I read like a crazy person. I’m voracious. Mostly young adult, with a smattering of romance (I love Regencies), and I also snatch up the occasional non-fiction, horror, or classic. I recently even devoured a teen manga. I’m usually reading one book and listening to another on audio. At the moment I’m reading Green Darkness by Anya Seton, listening to Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides, and also occasionally tucking into My Mistress’s Sparrow is Dead: Great Love Stories, from Chekhov to Munro, a collection of short stories curated by Jeffrey Eugenides (can you tell I’m a fan?!)

 5. What made you decide to go Vampires?
I like scary things. I enjoy the romance of today’s teen vampires and found myself wanting more of that, but with more horrific, terrifying twists.

 6. What will you do now that this series is finished?
Actually, the series isn’t over for me! I’m currently working on a novella written from Ronan’s point of view. I can’t seem to leave Drew behind…

 7. So what is your next project and when is it due out?
I’m working on my Ronan novella, as well as a top-secret YA contemporary—no vampires in that one, just a cute boy.

 8. Do you have a daytime job or are you a full time writer?
I’m lucky to be a full-time writer, but I’ve got two kids at home, so there’s a lot of carpooling and volunteering in there, too.

 9. How did you get into writing novels and were you worried about peoples reactions to your books?
I had a job that I hated, and writing was a way to have something to think about during the day that belonged only to me. Then, when my daughter was born, it was a way to keep my identity and sanity. And yes, I was very worried about people’s reactions, though my bulletproof vest gets thicker every year.

 10. One last thing do you collect anything personally?
With two kids and a few rescue pets at home, sometimes it feels as though mostly I collect Legos from where they’re hiding in the rug, furballs from beneath the bed, and bobby pins from under the bathroom sink, but no, other than that, I don’t really collect anything. (Though, now that I think about it, who doesn’t love a good tourist mug?)

Places to find Veronica
Goodreads
Website
Twitter
Facebook

Places to find Veronicas books
B & N
Amazon
Goodreads


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I do read every comment and appreciate them :)