March 6, 2013

Review: Blaze (or Love in the Time of Supervillains) by Laurie Boyle Crompton

Summary-
Blaze is tired of spending her life on the sidelines, drawing comics and feeling invisible. She's desperate for soccer star Mark to notice her. And when her BFF texts Mark a photo of Blaze in sexy lingerie, it definitely gets his attention. After a hot date in the back of her minivan, Blaze is flying high, but suddenly Mark's feelings seem to have been blasted by a freeze-ray gun, and he dumps her. Blaze gets her revenge by posting a comic strip featuring uber-villain Mark the Shark. Mark then retaliates by posting her "sext" photo, and, overnight, Blaze goes from Super Virgin Girl to Super Slut. That life on the sidelines is looking pretty good right about now...
 
Review-
If I had to describe Blaze, the book, in one or two words, I would simply say GIRL POWER! Sex, parent troubles, peer pressure, sibling issues, high school, and sexting are all subjects that Crompton looks at in this story. Blaze, the main character, is a feisty teenager who makes typical teen mistakes, often acts without thinking, and has been dealt a pretty tough hand in life. Yet every time she is knocked down by adversity, she jumps back up swinging. Named Blaze by her comic book-loving father, she draws comics and thinks Superhero. It is ultimately this very strong outlook on life that gets Blaze through one disappointment and letdown after another. Blaze is the type of character that I want my daughter and other young girls and women to emulate as they navigate the difficult maze of life. Five stars for a great story, awesome comic strip drawings, terrific message, and overall positive book!
 
Publisher-Sourcebooks Fire
Reviewer Rating: 5 STARS!!!
Reviewed by~Cindi
Thank you to the Publisher for the donation of this book to the Read for your Future book program for a honest review!

free glitter text and family website at FamilyLobby.com

 
 
 
 
 


22 comments:

  1. I am so fascinated with the entire content of your site, from the material to the theme. I really had a great time reading and watching this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like my kind of book! I personally love the cover. Thank you for sharing your review with us! I cannot wait to get my hands on this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashley, I think you'll enjoy it. It was such a good book and Blaze made such poor choices, that I think it's message was really good for kids--Every action has a reaction.

      Delete
  3. I too LOVED this book! Blaze is an awesome character:) The storyline was so meaningful and I loved the cartoons:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you agree Christina. I have read reviews recently on this book where the reviewers disliked the choices that Blaze made. However, I think this is exactly why teens should read this. They need to see what happens when poor choices are made. I've got a teenaged daughter and I let her read this. She loved it too.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a great book for teens and parents. Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know this book has some comic strips drawings. Sounds good! And I love that Blaze is a strong woman who won't let anyone keep her down. Will definitely get a copy of this book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blaze sounds like a great character! I think teenage girls needs all the good role models they can get so I'm glad to see a book like this! Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This seems like an interesting read. I didn't know that it had comic strips in it, though haha. Seems like an interesting touch

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the review! This book sounds great; I like the superhero theme to it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard a lot about this book and that cover is awesome. The story kind of reminds me of the movie "Kick Ass."

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have heard such great things about this book! I really want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brooke, this book had a very powerful message for young girls. The author touched on very touchy and very pertinent issues that teens, including my own daughter, struggle with.

      Delete
  11. I've definitely heard mixed news on this book, but I think it sounds so good! I'll definitely be picking it up, especially after your glowing review. After all, it's better when the heroines AREN'T perfect, right? Perfect role models aren't realistic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rin, there are a lot of people who didn't agree with the choices that Blaze made. However, the point of the book is to send a message to other teenagers that there ARE consequences to every action that they perform. Blaze made many of the mistakes that teenagers make right now and she suffered for it. But eventually she learned her lesson and made things right--THAT'S a positive message!

      Delete
  12. Thanks for the review,I can't wait to read your books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherry! I'm really glad that you follow the site and enjoy the reviews:)

      Delete
  13. My grand daughter would love this book. Thanks for the review.

    slehan at juno dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome!! If she's a teenager, she will benefit from Blaze's mistakes. My daughter who is fifteen really loved the story and the great ending too:)

      Delete
  14. wow 5 stars ??? it musb be a really great book...
    thx 4 the review..i will try to read blaze too ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 5 stars was my teenaged daughter's choice, lol. We both read it and I enjoyed it but she LOVED it:)) I went with her choice because this book gave her a really empowering message and pointed out the pitfalls of some really stupid mistakes that kids make every day. That lesson was worth five stars;)

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I do read every comment and appreciate them :)