June 23, 2012

Review: Shadow and Bone (The Grisha Trilogy #1) by Leigh Bardugo

Summary-
Surrounded by enemies, the once-great nation of Ravka has been torn in two by the Shadow Fold, a swath of near impenetrable darkness crawling with monsters who feast on human flesh. Now its fate may rest on the shoulders of one lonely refugee.
Alina Starkov has never been good at anything. But when her regiment is attacked on the Fold and her best friend is brutally injured, Alina reveals a dormant power that saves his life—a power that could be the key to setting her war-ravaged country free. Wrenched from everything she knows, Alina is whisked away to the royal court to be trained as a member of the Grisha, the magical elite led by the mysterious Darkling.
Yet nothing in this lavish world is what it seems. With darkness looming and an entire kingdom depending on her untamed power, Alina will have to confront the secrets of the Grisha…and the secrets of her heart.

Review-
This is a very interesting story. I have never read anything like it before. This is one of those books that just called out to me. It wanted me to read it. So, I did. Has that ever happened to you before, a book calling and begging for you to be the one to pick it up and read it? I am so very glad I did. The author is a very detailed writer who posses a vivid imagination. Filled with Acton, confusion, and ultimately betrayal. I had a hard time putting this book down. At first glance an unbelievable friend, turns into a foe and a cruel fiend. The main character has a lot of atoning to do to make all things right. The storyline is fast paced and very exciting. If there is to be a second part, I will be more than happy to continue on with the adventure. Really Good Book!

Publisher-Henry Holt and Co
Reviewer Rating: 4.5 Stars
Reviewed by~Mechele
~Thank you to the publisher for the donation of this book to the Read for your future book program!~





 

2 comments:

  1. Leigh certainly does possess a vivid imagination. I absolutely LOVED Shadow and Bone and I'm really eager for the second one. Great review!

    Hafsah @ IceyBooks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, I died over this book. DIED. I can't wait for the next one. I think my favorite (obv.) was the Darkling. I think I'm supposed to hate him--and I kind of do--but I feel like there could be more to his story later that could change our minds. Totally speculating here.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I do read every comment and appreciate them :)